Re: [opensuse] OpenSuse related, but may be a bit off topic
don fisher composed on 2015-12-22 20:10 (UTC-0700):

The IOGEAR product referenced in your link is the one that I purchased.
When I called IOGEAR tech support, they said that the transmission is
one way, that there is no feedback from the monitor to the source. So I
sorta gave up:-( The HDMI cable I am using to the transmitter is the
same one that I used to drive the monitor directly, and it worked
perfectly. All I did was remove the HDMI plug from the monitor, plug it
into the IOGEAR transmitter, and use the cable supplied by IOGEAR from

All HDMI cables are not created equal. Sometimes paying more gets you more,
but it's no guarantee. I have several $3 cables that work fine, others that
don't. Maybe you have a problem cable.

the receiver to the monitor. Transmitter and receiver were positioned
about one foot apart during this test. I also tried Windows, and it did
offer a second screen to configure either.

??? Did? Or did not (intended "not" omitted)?

Does a standard HDMI device, such as a Blu-ray player, require feedback
from the monitor? I do not have a Blu-ray player handy so have not
tried to see if this works. I know that there is two way communication
between some devices to allow control of power on/off.

HDCP depends on two-way communication. When two-way is not achieved, sources
(players) are free to provide no (video) output. I have to think the IOGEAR
tech you talked to needs to get better educated.

Sometimes HDMI trouble can be worked around by using a device designed to
split the HDMI signal to goto two TVs. Both such a device's outputs do not
need to be connected for them to perform their magic.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/