Re: [opensuse] OpenSuse related, but may be a bit off topic
On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 20:10:11 -0700
don fisher wrote:

Does a standard HDMI device, such as a Blu-ray player, require
feedback from the monitor? I do not have a Blu-ray player handy so
have not tried to see if this works. I know that there is two way
communication between some devices to allow control of power on/off.

Addendum:

Understanding EDID - Extended Display Identification Data
http://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=uedid

Scroll down to "CEA-861 Extension – The most prevalent EDID extension is
CEA-861, defined to support advanced capabilities of consumer devices
incorporating HDMI."