Re: [opensuse] OpenSuse related, but may be a bit off topic
On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 20:10:11 -0700
don fisher wrote:

The IOGEAR product referenced in your link is the one that I
purchased. When I called IOGEAR tech support, they said that the
transmission is one way, that there is no feedback from the monitor
to the source. So I sorta gave up:-( The HDMI cable I am using to the
transmitter is the same one that I used to drive the monitor
directly, and it worked perfectly. All I did was remove the HDMI plug
from the monitor, plug it into the IOGEAR transmitter, and use the
cable supplied by IOGEAR from the receiver to the monitor.
Transmitter and receiver were positioned about one foot apart during
this test. I also tried Windows, and it did offer a second screen to
configure either.

Does a standard HDMI device, such as a Blu-ray player, require
feedback from the monitor? I do not have a Blu-ray player handy so
have not tried to see if this works. I know that there is two way
communication between some devices to allow control of power on/off.

Does anybody know of somebody using one of these?

Thanks,
Don

http://aldoussystems.blogspot.com/2010/07/why-edid-management-in-hdmi-is-so.html

After reading this, I would have thought the transmitter would have
been factory programmed, or at least be user programmable, such that it
returns an appropriate EDID to the source when it's connected.

hth & regards,

Carl