Re: [opensuse] [Leap 42.1] [RESOLVED] Strange listing in /var/run/user
On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 21:47:28 -0600
Darryl Gregorash wrote:

On 17/12/15 09:26 PM, Carl Hartung wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 19:44:25 -0600
Darryl Gregorash wrote:

ls: cannot access /var/run/user/1000/gvfs: Permission denied
A quick search on the above string yields many hits, including this:

I have to admit that I did not search too deeply, as I encountered
this in the midst of trying to resolve my scanner problem.

I completely understand ... BTDT :-)

You certainly got a lot more results than I did searching only for
"gvfs" :D I don't recall the Wikipedia article giving this much
information; then again, see above -- I didn't read it in depth.

The first time I encountered that 'anomalous' directory, I studied up
on it enough to understand what I was seeing. I thought I'd save you
a little time by gathering up and including the most salient features
in my reply. I'm glad you found it helpful.

driver process. Even root doesn't get to bypass this restriction."
What a strange way to do things. This is the first time I've ever
encountered such a thing. Are there any more oddities like this, in
case I run into them in the future?

As I understand it, it's literally a 'virtual filesystem.' The idea
that such an object would be strictly fenced off, requiring use of
'native' tools for accessing it's contents, makes perfect intuitive
sense to me. I'm sure other, comparable 'oddities' exist. I just cant
seem to recall what any of them are -- I plead fatigue -- it's late
here :-)

Thanks for the info, also to Carlos ER, who replied privately.

You're very welcome ... and isn't Carlos great?! :-)

regards,

Carl