[opensuse] [Leap 42.1] Scanner not working in user account
My printer/scanner, a Brother DCP-7040, appears to have been installed
correctly [1]; printing works properly, and scanning works quite fine in
the root account. The scanner is seen by the system, as the following
results show:

loki:~ # scanimage -L
device `brother3:bus7;dev1' is a Brother DCP-7040 USB scanner
loki:~ # sane-find-scanner -q
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04f9, product=0x01e9) at libusb:009:003

loki:~ # scanimage -T
scanimage: rounded value of br-x from 215.9 to 215.88
scanimage: rounded value of br-y from 355.6 to 355.567
scanimage: scanning image of size 1648x2291 pixels at 24 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring RGB frame, 8 bits/sample
scanimage: reading one scanline, 4944 bytes... FAIL Error: Out of memory

That last result is a little surprising, but the scanner does work
properly in xsane run in the root account.

In a user account, however, I get the following results:

loki@loki:~> scanimage -L
device `brother3:bus7;dev1' is a Brother DCP-7040 USB scanner

loki@loki:~> scanimage -T
scanimage: open of device brother3:bus7;dev1 failed: Error during device I/O

Xsane fails with the same error.

AFAICT, this is a permissions error somewhere in the installed system,
but I have been through everything, twice, and cannot find what it might
be. My best guess at this point is that I might need to add a line
specific to this scanner to
/etc/udev/rules.d/56-sane-backends-autoconfig.rules; however, that file
seems just to tell the system what scanner driver to use -- that driver
appears to have been correctly detected, as the above scanimage results
show.

[1] This includes adding a line to /etc/udev/rules.d/55-libsane.rules
and installing drivers from Brother; the drivers installed without
error, and the line in libsane-rules is the same one that worked OK in
openSUSE 12.3.