Re: [opensuse] Backup Suggestions?
  • From: Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 16:27:58 +0100
Dne Pá 11. prosince 2015 15:40:12, Lew Wolfgang napsal(a):
I'm dong backups to disk, rather than to tape, and the disks are either
local or remote. The candidate system should back up to a regular
filesystem, and be accessible just like the source. The backup should
be an up-to-date copy of the source at the time the backup was run.
It should do incremental backups, and be able to restore to any given
time the backup was run. For instance, if the process is run on a daily
basis, you should be able to recover a file/directory that was removed
30 or more days ago. I've recovered files that had been removed two
years ago with rdiff-backup. It's not necessary for individual users to
recover their own stuff, it's enough for root to do it for them. I know
about rsync, but it doesn't do the history thing, as far as I know.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

I can recommend duplicity. It is basically Python script with impressive rich
options suing rsync and GPG to produce encrypted (encryption of archives is
optional) and it keeps incremental backup according to user defined pattern. I
use it to backup to various network devices. See http://duplicity.nongnu.org/
(it is available in openSUSE repositories).
V.

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu