Re: [opensuse] upgrading to new Distribution release : autoinst.xml
On 12/16/2015 09:58 AM, Hans Witvliet wrote:
On Fri, 2015-12-11 at 13:28 +0200, ellanios82 wrote:
On 12/11/2015 10:18 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
ellanios82 wrote:

Hello List ,

autoyast=/path-to/autoinst.xml
________________________________

- is it now recommended practice , to use autoinst.xml
when upgrading to new Distribution release ?

Hi ellianos,

Using autoyast is surely an advanced practice, only recommended to
advanced users.

- have no 1st-hand experience,
however, this sounds so very good that it deserves
to be recommended to ALL users :)
I've been using it for quite some time.
For some it appears something highly advanced, but using it is a real
gem! Specially when supplying the xml file to a PXE-boot server.
(re-) installing done in a fraction of the time, and with guaranteed
exact the same results.

At work we used to do installation with a checklist, whicj took quite
some time of tedious work in a server-room.
Now the machines spent more time in the bios, than the rest of the
installation.

perhaps worthwhile mentioning, you can add self defined scripts for
almost all stages during the installation (pre, post)

hw

many thanks for encouragement .

please help me understand some starting steps :

- i have an usb-hub ~ my Install ISO is on an usb-stick ,
which i plug into my usb-hub

- next i plug a Second usb-stick into my usb-hub
, containing the vital "autoinst.xml" file

- finally, before issuing the 'Install' command ,
I must enter in to Boot Options Line :

autoyast=usb:// ? ? ?

my worry is that i am not sure how my boot iso is
seeing the TWO usb sticks that I now will have plugged
in to the usb-hub

perhaps
autoyast=floppy/ is a catch-all solution

or ,

do i need to say
autoyast=usb://dev/sdd [hoping that is how my second
usb stick holding file "autoinst.xml" is seen ??

thanks for your enlightenment
ellan