Re: [opensuse] double dual boot with windows
On 09/12/15 23:36, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 5:06 PM, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/09/2015 01:54 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
Mostly agreed, but:

- a lot of low-end PCs don't have the Intel CPU extension that makes virtual so
fast (VT-x if I
recall correctly). AMD has a similar extension I believe, but I mostly do
Intel.

I haven't tried a VM without those extensions, but my impression is the
performance is much worse.

Agreed.

But that's been standard for 10 years or more. Anything that can run a
hyper-visor will be fine.
AND lots of memory. Also More cores = better.
But those things also seem to b standard these days.
Here's one counter example (possibly extreme):

http://ark.intel.com/products/81712/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2685-v3-30M-Cache-2_60-GHz

It was released Q3 of last year, so a relatively new CPU.

It's $2K for the recommended price of just the CPU so this is the
opposite of low-end, but it doesn't have VT-x included.

Why that exists, I don't know.

A more personal experience: My business partner bought a MS Surface 2
for $1,000 about 2 years ago. We didn't realize until later that it
didn't have the VT-x extensions. That was in early 2014, so for
whatever reason it was not universal that all decent machines had VT-x
24 months ago.

I don't know about now.

Greg
--