Re: [opensuse] double dual boot with windows
On 09/12/15 23:03, John Andersen wrote:
On 12/09/2015 01:49 PM, buhorojo wrote:
On 09/12/15 22:12, John Andersen wrote:
On 12/09/2015 12:26 PM, stakanov@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: buhorojo
Gesendet: Mi. 09.12.2015 21:14
An: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: [opensuse] double dual boot with windows

Hi
We have a laptop with windows 8.1. We'd like to install leap alongside.
We booted from a usb but only got the option to install. Is it possible
to do this?
Thanks

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht Ende-----
Yes you can install opensuse as dual boot with windows.
You should before:
- create a restore disk for windows if you do not own a full licences in case
things should go
south on you.
- make sure you did defragment the file system completely. This is important
when you will resize
the partition of windows.
- make a full backup off your data and licences etc. Every such procedure bears
an intrinsic
risk. You want to make sure you minimize.

I found myself comfortable to prepare the disk with a lifeCD of parted magic or
with gparted.
Make a reasoned choice on how much space you want to dedicate for linux, how
much for Windows.
You may wish to create a little dedicated fat32 Partition to share files
between the two installs
(as both will be able to read and write it, although the latter is not a
prerogative, I just put
it as a suggestion.

Just to be clear, backup of personal data and of licences is paramount IMO to
avoid bad experiences.

If you did free up the space the procedure is straightforward and the binding
in of windows is
done via the grub2 boot manager. Windows will appear as a choice after the
first boot of opensuse.

Personally I did not try the build in partition-tool for this, I found a
dedicated life CD more
convenient. I think it is possible to get a usb version for this too. But I
never tried.
YMMV, others may advice better if they have sound experience with the partition
tool of the
install disk of NTFS.

Have fun.
Complex, and risky.

And from past reports your boot partition is likely to get trashed, either by
linux or Windows.

Guys: Its 2015. There hasn't been a valid reason to dual boot for 10 years
now.

I don't know of a single person who is happy with dual boot. Your machine is
never
in the state you want it, and booting back and forth is a pain in the ass.
Every single
time you upgrade either OS, you put both systems at risk.

Just run Linux in a virtual machine (There are lots to choose from,take your
choice, I like VmWare,
lots of people like VirtualBox).

Its way safer. You have access to both systems, just a mouse click away. They
talk to each other
like they were on the same network (cuz they are). You can install as many
Virtual Machines as you
have disk for, and you can run as many simultaneously as you have ram for.

Once you go Virtual you will never consider dual boot ever again.

Hi
I'm sure you're right but Linux running under windows is just not workable
unless you have a fast
machine. e.g. on our machines, most games are not playable. Even xp is slow in
oracle:(
Not my experience.
I have an old-ish (2008) quad core HP for my primary desktop, with a measly 8
gig of ram. Running
windows 7
I have a even older dual core Dell laptop maxed out at 3gig Running Opensuse
13.2.

In each machine I have Vmware running, and the performance is very good. With
VMware, you can
allocate all exclusive processor use to a maximized full screen virtual machine
which will just
about put the Host OS to sleep. Its really rather amazing.

On the desktop I can run the Host OS, and 3 VMs at a time. These are
intentionally set up as
smallish test machines. I do all my development and compiling in these
machines. (Day job has
me developing for windows most of the time).

I've also set up full sized Linux machines on the window host, for SLED, and
several Ubuntus,
and Slackware etc.

Performance in all circumstances is very good.

I don't game under Linux, but I play a bit under windows. I just suspend the
guests to disk
when I have heavy workload on the host.

The Linux laptop is a bit wimpier, but its more than adequate to run a single
VM or maybe 2
VMs at the same time for on the road development work.

On modern hardware, anything you would buy today, this approach will always
produce a much
better working environment than dual booting. With older machines, yeah, it
could be a problem,
but you would be talking about 1990's machines, or very low-spec 2000's
machines.

Ram is cheap.

Also, on acer, you can't install 64 bit virtual. There isn't any 32 bit Linux I don't think.