RE: [opensuse] double dual boot with windows
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: buhorojo
Gesendet: Mi. 09.12.2015 21:14
An: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: [opensuse] double dual boot with windows

Hi
We have a laptop with windows 8.1. We'd like to install leap alongside.
We booted from a usb but only got the option to install. Is it possible
to do this?
Thanks

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht Ende-----
Yes you can install opensuse as dual boot with windows.
You should before:
- create a restore disk for windows if you do not own a full licences in case
things should go south on you.
- make sure you did defragment the file system completely. This is important
when you will resize the partition of windows.
- make a full backup off your data and licences etc. Every such procedure bears
an intrinsic risk. You want to make sure you minimize.

I found myself comfortable to prepare the disk with a lifeCD of parted magic or
with gparted. Make a reasoned choice on how much space you want to dedicate for
linux, how much for Windows. You may wish to create a little dedicated fat32
Partition to share files between the two installs (as both will be able to read
and write it, although the latter is not a prerogative, I just put it as a
suggestion.

Just to be clear, backup of personal data and of licences is paramount IMO to
avoid bad experiences.

If you did free up the space the procedure is straightforward and the binding
in of windows is done via the grub2 boot manager. Windows will appear as a
choice after the first boot of opensuse.

Personally I did not try the build in partition-tool for this, I found a
dedicated life CD more convenient. I think it is possible to get a usb version
for this too. But I never tried.
YMMV, others may advice better if they have sound experience with the partition
tool of the install disk of NTFS.

Have fun.

---