Re: [opensuse] How does one encode CDs to mp3 format?
On 03/12/15 22:33, don fisher wrote:
Hello,

I have a previous post about grip which is not supported. It used an mp3
encoder, I think the mp3 package was lame. None of these files appear in
openSuse. I was able to get grip from an online source, but it does not
function correctly. No playback, and no ripping with an "invalid rip
executable" message, even though I think I have chosen the internal one.

Is there a application that will generate mp3 files as I used to? K3b
generated .ogg files. Can .ogg files be used interchangeably with mp3
formates files?

Don

In your first post you said "I was hopping for suggestions on ripping
tools that can be initiated from the command line." but all the
subsequent discussion seems to have been about GUI tools.

Morituri rip is a command line tool which defaults to flac, (a higher
quality format than mp3), but it can also rip to mp3, alac, wav,
wavpack, mp3vbr and vorbis.

It aims for quality over speed. It uses the MusicBrainz server to get CD
information, and Accurip to check the quality of the rip. It also writes
an extra folder containing *.log, *.cue and *.m3u files which I don't
need, so I run it from a python script which deletes these after ripping
is complete.

Just a happy user.

Bob

--