Re: [opensuse] What is the procedure to create a new install of OpenSuse on a new SSD, and preserve the data on the existing drive?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 09:38:31 +0100
Ted Byers wrote:

OK, I have two machines that are presently running OpenSuse 13.2. In
both cases, problems arose when the root partition filled up.

I have a new SSD to install in each. What I would like to do is
install OpenSuse fresh onto the SSD, and have the existing drive in
each machine serve for /home, and that in a way that preserves
whatever data I have on the drive.

Actually installing the SSD isn't that much of a problem, but I am
uncertain as to what I will see when the install program detects two
drives, and what to tell it to do with them. What exactly would I
tell it to do, so this all works?

Assuming the data you need to preserve is indeed on /home (on your two
existing drives), you tell the installer to mount those partitions
on /home on your new install.

And then, after I finish that install, Can I remove everything from
the existing drive except for the home directory,

Make sure you don't need any of it, then yes.

and how do I tell Suse that home is there?

See above.

Assuming I have a complete install onto the new ssd, what directories
can I safely move to the old drive which will reduce the likelihood
that root will run out of space?

It would be useful to know which directories were filled up on the
systems that ran out of space. Probably /var and /tmp? Maybe /home?

If you were to run "du -hsx /*" on one of those systems, you would see
where the space is used. Maybe you just need to clean up something.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.4°C)