RE: [opensuse] What is the procedure to create a new install of OpenSuse on a new SSD, and preserve the data on the existing drive?

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Ted Byers
Gesendet: Mi. 02.12.2015 21:02
An: openSuSE List ,
Betreff: [opensuse] What is the procedure to create a new install of OpenSuse
on a new SSD, and preserve the data on the existing drive?

OK, I have two machines that are presently running OpenSuse 13.2. In
both cases, problems arose when the root partition filled up.

I have a new SSD to install in each. What I would like to do is
install OpenSuse fresh onto the SSD, and have the existing drive in
each machine serve for /home, and that in a way that preserves
whatever data I have on the drive.

Actually installing the SSD isn't that much of a problem, but I am
uncertain as to what I will see when the install program detects two
drives, and what to tell it to do with them. What exactly would I
tell it to do, so this all works? And then, after I finish that
install, Can I remove everything from the existing drive except for
the home directory, and how do I tell Suse that home is there?
Assuming I have a complete install onto the new ssd, what directories
can I safely move to the old drive which will reduce the likelihood
that root will run out of space?

Thanks

Ted

--
R.E.(Ted) Byers, Ph.D.,Ed.D.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht Ende-----
Hi Ted.
There are many reasons why a root partition can run out of space.
Some are normal, some not.

First consideration (before doing anything else): if the data in /home is
valuable,
what I suppose, as you want to safe it, please consider doing a backup.
An easy program for doing it in 13.2 is luckybackup from the repos (using rsync
proto).

Second: what was the size of the root partition that did ran out of space?
What was the filesystem you did use? And did you check whether you do not have
a huge logfile accumulating or that the settings of the /temp are wrong and you
run out
of space because of useless clutter?

If you use a ssd: use btrfs.

You asked what could you place on the hdd that is going to hold /home. Provided
that it is
a very big disk, with a lot of space, you could create two partitions and mount
one for home
and one for /var. This is especially true if you run virtualization with
libvirt/quemu because of
course every OS that you going to install will take exactly the space that you
attribute (and
that can be much). If you use virtualbox with variable size virtual partitions
the situation is only
marginally better. So /var could be a good idea.
Hold in mind that snapshots can accumulate in btrfs (I think this was a
particular problem in 13.2
at the beginning but I am not sure about).

What you are going to see: you may install without the home disk installed and
just uncheck
"propose a separte home". Then after install, you branch the disk, you see the
old home and you
mount it as /home. This is easy done if you use a user "test" during the
install. Then, if you attribute
the old home and mount it as /home you can then, after reboot, create a new
user with the same name
then the preexisting ones.
You will be asked if you want to take ownership as a /home with this name
already does exist. You say yes.
Once you log into the user created you will be at home. User test (or whatever
name you gave) can now be deleted.
You can then, in the partitioner, eliminate the partitions that are old root
and swap. Create a big partition with btrfs and
attribute /var.
I would advice to leave swap in the ssd because of its speed.

All depends on what is the reason for root being filled. The biggest ssd is
full if you have a gigantic log or jounal accumulating.
Or a cluttered filling temp.

By all means: do a backup.

Good luck.

PS. make a copy of .mozilla and of kwallet (in case the conversion fails, at
least you have the passwords). But I forgot,
wise man did a backup.

---