Re: [opensuse] Logging in as root an Leap
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 23:20:06 +0100
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 8:06 PM, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think there is something I don't understand here. To add an user on a
running machine you have to log as root, even in Windows. I was thinking
your user already have a GUI (kde or other) running. Then you have only to
lauch yast and give the root pass, you can even launch only the user yast
module.

there is never any reason to log as root in kdm in openSUSE - I do not do
this even once a year

Neither do I. Except in a brand new measurement production system to
add a software package and a user. Significantly, in that order.

I see in our KIWI build of OEM images, we do the following:

baseUpdateSysConfig /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager DISPLAYMANAGER kdm4
baseUpdateSysConfig /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
DISPLAYMANAGER_REMOTE_ACCESS yes
baseUpdateSysConfig /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
DISPLAYMANAGER_ROOT_LOGIN_REMOTE yes
baseUpdateSysConfig /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
DISPLAYMANAGER_ROOT_LOGIN_LOCAL yes
baseUpdateSysConfig /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager KDM_GREETSTRING
"Look_busy._They_are_watching."

So our OEM images are as we want. I will have to ensure that these are
the correct values for Leap.

--
Roger Oberholtzer