Re: [opensuse] Logging in as root an Leap
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Koenraad Lelong
<k.lelong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Op 01-12-15 om 16:00 schreef ianseeks:

On Tuesday 01 Dec 2015 09:53:27 Koenraad Lelong wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to log in as root just after booting ? I only get my
non-root user as a possible user.
On OS13.2 and before there was a possibility to type the username. Now
it seems you can only graphically select users, and root is not
available (that I know of).

Thanks,

Koenraad.

If you are using "kdm", you can configure it through the systems setting
"system administration/Login Screen", by default its configured to be
excluded. "ssdm" doesn't give you that option at all

Hi,

I'm sorry to have caused such a hubub ;-).
The reason to log in as root is that as a regular user I lost my taskbar on
the LVDS screen of my laptop. I wanted to log in as root and make another
user to see what differs from the original user.
In the mean time I know how to get the taskbar back. Maybe not orthodox, but
it works : I attached my VGA monitor, deleted the old taksbar (fixed on the
VGA-screen) and created a new one on the LVDS screen.

Thanks anyway,

Koenraad.

We have root as a GUI login in OEM images we make via KIWI. After the
system is installed from our OEM image, our current software is added.
But this is not as part of the OEM install because the OEM images are
rather long-tern, while our software is more frequently updated. So we
keep these two activities separate. Our software puts things in
/etc/skel that we want all users to get. So we would like the user to
be made after our software is added. Having our users log in
non-graphically as root ("What's a virtual terminal?") and run a
command line is not safer than letting them have a GUI login. At least
in the GUI they have some idea what is going on. Not so the command
line. Such is the state of many Linux users today. We asked for a
Linux desktop. Now we have one. Most users want to forget the command
line. (Not me. But I am strange in these parts...)

--
Roger Oberholtzer