Re: [opensuse] Signing PDFs
  • From: Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 15:32:35 -0600

On 2015-08-06 22:16, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 12:39 PM, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

How would you create such a signature in Linux? :-?

I've been too lazy to try to figure it out.

I've used self-signed certificates generated in Acrobat to do
this.

Well, yes, acrobat does it, but there is no more acrobat in Linux.

I have to look at LibreOffice options. It can encode, which I use.
Dunno about sign.

Evince always comes up in such searches. And also just stumbled on
this but only gave it a quick glance.

https://paulbradley.org/digitally-sign-pdf-files/

I think this is definitely an area that needs to be better on all
platforms. But PDF is sufficiently complicated that I think some of
the work has been about narrowing the scope of what's included, and
that's on-going work. Like, you can embed movies in PDF. But does it
make sense to print a movie? No. So the PDF/X (various) formats all
exclude movies, and exclude music files, and restrict features to more
reliable ones that aren't brand new, and so on. The same applies to
PDF/A for archiving. But for secure document exchange, is this well
standardized? I don't know, and I think that's a pre-requisite I'd
think any development effort outside of Adobe would want to see. Their
able to get away with a pre-mature implementation when they have 90%
of platforms covered with a mix of free and not free software, as that
helps drive pay for software sales.

--
Chris Murphy