Re: [opensuse] Title hijacking
On 08/03/2015 11:18 AM, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
On 3 August 2015 at 16:15, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Some months ago we had some big flame wars, around systemd. The list
admin had to implement filters, that causes *some* mails to be delayed
for moderation, which can take several days.

So what we do is that when we get a hit on those filters, and we do
not want to wait that long, we repost changing the offending word.

So you're confirming me you change the title to dodge filters? How is
this a good thing?

Its a good thing because the thread can proceed.
Having to wait, possibly days, for the moderator, who has a real life
outside the list, to release the items in the queue, items that are not
outrageous, vitriolic or contain personal insults, means that the
discussion is like talking to the New Horizon's spacecraft out at Pluto.
I'm sure our ancestors had a similar situation, sending physical mail by
ship or courier to distant places and getting replies days, weeks or
even years later. But that was then, this is now. Our expectations
have changed. This may not be an IM service but we expect to see our
posts in a few minutes and replies shortly after.

I don't know whether you in particular consider this to be a good thing.
Many people here get to wonder what has gone wrong if they don't see
their posts within a reasonable time, certainly less than an hour. You
do seem happy with the promptness of replies to your own postings, all
of which came within 10 minutes. If you want us to wait a day, a week
before replying to you, just ask: many of us have MUAs that can cope
with that.