Re: [opensuse] Another example of deliberate cyctemd supporters deliberately sabotaging previously working software...
On 07/31/2015 09:52 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:

--- the various sendmail rc scripts that did a good job of
extracting options from the /etc/sendmail.cf config file --
replaced by "semi-hidden" (in /etc/mail/system -- not a standard
location for storing service start/stop scripts -- except w/systemd.

A wonderful benefit -- used to be the scripts were all in /etc/init.d/xxx
but now, they can all be put in private, non-standard locations to
obfuscate how systemd runs.

There's a point where your vitriol obscure the point you're trying to make.

I'm a Postix user, not a sendmail user, but I do not that the start and
stop for Postfix are commands that are outside systemd and outside
/etc/init.d; quite simply "postfix start" and "postfix stop".
Its there very clearly in the man page.
Its fundamental to Postfix; should there ever be anything in systemd or
init.d to do this then its just a 'wrapper'. It has nothing to do with
any benefit or shortcoming of init.d or systemd.

A lot of things are like that.

Tell me that sendmail that I don't have is a not a regular binary in one
of the well known directories, probably /usr/sbin or /sbin, that is is
not a regular binary that can be executed from the command line just
like Postfix. That even the init.d was not just a shell script wrapper
around that binary.

There's a "Bah Humbug" -- as Dickens would say -- moment here somewhere.

I recall using sendmail on the PDP-11 and early VAXen under BSD back in
the 1980s long, long before USG came up with the regularization of the
init scripts. BSD start-up back them was a moras of unstructured
scripts. The move to the init.d format was welcomed by some as a
rationalization and condemned by others as a large business conglomerate
forcing its way of doing things onto the creative radical principles
that were the founding principles of UNIX.

Same old same old comes around again.

There's nothing holy about the init.d scripts.

It used to be that the UNIX End Of The World was set for January 19th
2038. That supposed we are all still using 32-bit systems. No doubt
there will still be some old, old embedded systems that do. But given
the rate of innovation in the world its quite likely that even 64-bit
machines will have been outdated, and the thread-wars in forums like
this will be about the die-hards and dinosaurs who want to keep the now
outdated systemd in the face of whatever 'new and innovative' system
management and initialization tool a bright, creative but socially inept
developer has released though his Avatar.

Same old same old comes around again

Boring as hell. Same as arguing about KDE17.