Re: [opensuse] Autodisconnect of usb-disk-dock
Am 29.07.2015 um 13:55 schrieb Koenraad Lelong:
Hi,

In a thread about two months ago a USB disk-docking station was
mentioned (Aukey Super Speed USB3.0 Dual Bay ...). I bought it, but I
don't know what's happening with it.
I wanted to use it as my backup-station for my NAS. I was testing it,
but it was not reliable.
So I tested it on my Opensuse 13.2 laptop. There it also has
"problems". What happens is that after a while of not using it, the
connection is dropped. I can't access it any more. I have to remove
power and power it on again before I can use it.
I was wondering if this is expected behaviour, or is the dock
malfunctioning ?

This is possibly a feature of the dock. They spin down the disk when
it's idle for a while. Some disks also can do that.

Use "hdparm" to check the power status of the dock/disk. I don't
remember the exact command line options; the man page and calling the
command without options should help.

The odd thing is that the disk should spin up by itself when you access
it again. That takes a few moments. A simple "ls" of the folder should
be enough to trigger this.

The last thing to check is the disks temperature. Maybe the dock thinks
the disk gets too hot and shuts it down.

Regards,

http://blog.pdark.de/