[opensuse] Re: specific calendar program for linux
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2015 02:14:27 +0200
On 07/31/15 18:25, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 07/31/2015 06:35 AM, Koenraad Lelong wrote:

I'm using owncloud for synching of calendar and contacts. No worry about
privacy.

OK, well that's one good way of sharing on the LAN

Quite to the contrary, Owncloud is perfect for sharing one's
calender on the Internet -- without using Google's calendar with
all its implied privacy concerns. Some of us don't want Google to
track and read their calendars... Yeah, I know, we're the tin-foil
hat folks. :-) To use Owncloud, you just need some server connected
to the Internet with LAMP stack.

Owncloud allows to establish several calendars, you may share them
r/o or r/w with others. E.g., both my wife and myself have a
personal calendar, shared r/w, business calendars shared r/o to
prevent date collisions, and an additional one with concert dates
that we share r/o with friends. This infrastructure made
always-online date planning a reality, it's a really great feature.

Installation of Owncloud is via OBS, that's the obligatory
connection to openSUSE. (My Owncloud server actually uses Debian
rusty, also supplied by OBS.)

Unfortunately, the android-app is not free (less than a euro, though).
And you need also some DAV-client e.g.davdroid, or easydav (didn't try
this).

WHAT ANDROID APP?

As it happens I also use Android and have calendar programs that access
my google calendars, sync them, same with my tablet.

I doubt that your calendar app syncs the Google Calendar, that's
done by the Google apps itself, it's an intrinsic feature of
Google's functionality. If you want to use a different calendar
supplier, e.g. Owncloud, you need to establish synchronization:
Google apps won't do it on their own, and the calendar apps don't
do it, contrary to your assumption.

I can recommend CalDAV-Sync from Marten Gajda for that purpose,
works like a charm. I thought there would be a free and a pay-for
version, but don't find the free version anymore. Anyhow, the 2,95
EUR was worth any cent.

After sync has been established, all those calendar programs cited
by you can kick in and can be used. In addition to those named by
you, I'm very satisfied with aCalendar/aCalendar+, highly
recommendable as well.

Joachim