Re: [opensuse] Handbrake broken ?
On 06/07/2015 09:04 AM, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Hi,

since a few weeks, I can't use Handbrake anymore on OS13.1.
When I manually start it I get :
~> HandBrakeGUI
HandBrakeGUI: symbol lookup error: HandBrakeGUI: undefined symbol:
_gst_fraction_type

Anyone has this also ?
Any solution ? I tried uninstalling it and re-installing, but this does
not help.
I tried finding some config-file but this seems not to exist.
ldd /usr/bin/HandBrakeGUI seems to find all needed libraries.

Mine are

Repository: Packman Repository
Name: handbrake-cli
Version: 0.10.1-2.10
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: http://packman.links2linux.de

and the GUI veriosn is

Repository: Packman Repository
Name: handbrake-gtk
Version: 0.10.1-2.10
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: http://packman.links2linux.de

on 13.1/64

What are yours? Where did they come from?

Both start OK from the command line with no messages.

Running 'strings' I see the following:

gtk_adjustment_configure
g_get_user_config_dir
sysconf
ghb_get_user_config_dir

So there is some kind of configuration store but it seems parameterized
rather than explicitly named. Perhaps this is a Gnomic or GTK
function/feature?
I'm a KDE sort so this is beyond my ken.

However googling the net of a billion Lies tells me

<quote
src="https://developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/glib-Miscellaneous-Utility-Functions.html";>

g_get_user_config_dir ()

const gchar *
g_get_user_config_dir (void);

Returns a base directory in which to store user-specific application
configuration information such as user preferences and settings.

On UNIX platforms this is determined using the mechanisms described in
the XDG Base Directory Specification. In this case the directory
retrieved will be XDG_CONFIG_HOME.

On Windows this is the folder to use for local (as opposed to roaming)
application data. See documentation for CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA. Note that
on Windows it thus is the same as what g_get_user_data_dir() returns.
Returns

a string owned by GLib that must not be modified or freed.

Since 2.6

</quote>

See also
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6970314/cross-platform-way-of-accessing-config-dir

Googling for "XDG_CONFIG_HOME" leads me to
http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html
That says there should be an environment variable. Hmm

$ env | grep XDG
XDG_VTNR=7
XDG_SESSION_ID=846
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg
XDG_SEAT=seat0
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share:/usr/share:/etc/opt/kde3/share:/opt/kde3/share
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/501
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE

Oh that was disappointing, I was hoping for something like "~/.local" or
"~/.config" :-(

YMMV.

See also
https://developer.gnome.org/basedir-spec/