Re: [opensuse] konsole dictating dimensions of gvim window

Hello,

On Fri, 5 Jun 2015, toothpik wrote:

On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 05:43:23PM -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 06/03/2015 08:34 PM, toothpik wrote:
I am running openSUSE v 13.1, konsole v 2.11.3, gvim v 7.4.729

if I start a gvim session from the konsole command line it assumes the
same dimensions as konsole -- if I instead start gvim from the alt-F2
run starter it assumes whatever dimensions I have specified in my
startup script, or it defaults to a cute 25 line by 80 column display

can someone tell me how to end the tyranny of konsole sizing my gvim
windows?

I wonder if you have aliasing vis 'search' going on.

no aliases for vim, but I use the heck out of sym-links -- g for gvim
and v for vim -- much easier to type and totally irrelevant to the
resizing problem

if i use 'gvim' i get small windows, but different positions for each of
your two use cases.

but if in the xterm of the konsole window I run 'vim' or 'vi' it appears
as you describe, the complete window.

as it is designed

When I run 'alias' I don't see anything to do with vim or gvim or vi
Please don't get confused between bash's 'alias' and the email alias
mechanism.

yes I know what aliases are in bash -- I have dozens of them for
changing directory

There is also 'alternatives'. I don't have any set up for vim, gvim or vi

I know what vim I am executing, I compile it myself -- for me it resides
on /usr/local/bin, and this too is irrelevant to the resizing problem

I have a work-around, alt-F2, and hope we can end this thread -- clearly
no-one here knows how to end konsole's tyranny and poking around with
irrelevancies is helping no-one

Are you saying that delaying the execution of the .vim file by adding a sleep command at the top of it, does not help ? Did you try to increase the time e.g. to 500ms or 1s ?

Regards,
I. Petrov