Re: [opensuse] Spell Check not working in TexWorks
Am Thu, 04 Jun 2015 14:42:36 -0400
schrieb Mike Coan <mikecoan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Greetings,

I have been using TexWorks and the TexLive collectoion on opensuse
for a number of years. Spellcheck was always available in TexWorks.

At work I use opensuse 13.2 and at home I use Tumbleweed. The
version of TexWorks is 0.4.6 in both cases. opensuse 13.2 uses
Texlive2013, Tumbleweed uses Texlive2014.

In opensue 13.1 I could enable spellchecking in Texworks by going to
Edit --> Preferences --> General --> Spell-check language
and specify en-US. that option is not available.

Looking at the manual for TeXworks it specifically says how to
implement spell checking

Got to
Help --> Seetings and Resources --> Resources
and note the Resources directory. In my case it is

/home/mikecoan/.TeXworks

Create a subdirectoy called dictionaries and copy the dictionary
files from /usr/share/myspell to the new subdirectory. I ahve done
that and still no change.

I have installed TeXworks and Texlive from the standard oss
repositories in both cases. No special repositories.

If anyone has spell check working in TeXworks I would appreciate
knowing what you did.

Note that I have TeXworks configured to use use Plain TeX and pdftex,
but that shouldn't make a difference.

Mike

Hello Mike,

TeXworks Version 0.4.6 (openSUSE) [r.c29723a, 03.04.15 20:05] looks at
/usr/share/myspell/dicts by default, see below. On my openSuSE 13.2 the
following link should be added to get the spell checker working.

sudo ln -s /usr/share/hunspell /usr/share/myspell/dicts

Hope that helps
Peter

TeXworks manual
4.3 Spell-checking
You can turn on automatic spell-checking of your source document from
Edit →Spelling→<language>. It is also possible to ask TEXworks to
enable spell-checking by default by setting a dictionary in
Edit→Preferences…→Editor→Spell-check language.

During typing, every word the spell-checker considers wrong is
underlined by a red wavy line. A right-click on the word opens a
contextual menu in which there are some replacement suggestions. Click
on the desired word to make the replacement.

Before using the spell-checker, you need to install dictionaries in the
right folder of TEXworks: <resources>\dictionaries. The <resources>
folder can be accessed easily via Help→Settings and Resources….

On Linux, the dictionaries are usually taken from the
folder /usr/share/myspell/dicts—the default path for myspell
dictionaries. Note, though, that the maintainer of your TEXworks
package may have changed this to reflect the file system layout of your
Linux distribution. You can override this default by setting the
TW_DICPATH environment variable before running TEXworks.

One can use the available dictionaries for OpenOffice.org and other
free software;2 if you have Mozilla Thunderbird with spell-checking,
you can copy its .aff and .dic files as well, for example.