Re: [opensuse] CPU speed
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 10:39:26 +0200
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

I have a system (not a laptop) that has an "AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T
Processor", as reported in /proc/cpuinfo. I have been monitoring the
CPU speed as reported there and I see that quite often the speed is
reported as 800 MHz instead of 3300 MHz. For example, I ran the four
commands pretty much one after the other. The speed is changing all
the time:
[snip]
The system is busy when this is run. So I cannot think there are
unused CPUs that are made to slow down because they have nothing to
do. Especially changing as often as they seem to be changing.

Is this expected behavior?

Yes I believe it is - I think it's AMDs dynamic frequency
scaling "Cool'n'Quiet".

Funny though, my own AMD Phenom 9500 seems to run four cores at 2.2GHz
without change.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.6°C)