[opensuse] CPU speed
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 10:25:59 +0200
I have a system (not a laptop) that has an "AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T
Processor", as reported in /proc/cpuinfo. I have been monitoring the
CPU speed as reported there and I see that quite often the speed is
reported as 800 MHz instead of 3300 MHz. For example, I ran the four
commands pretty much one after the other. The speed is changing all
the time:

roger@acme:~> cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "cpu MHz"
cpu MHz : 3300.000
cpu MHz : 3300.000
cpu MHz : 800.000
cpu MHz : 3300.000
cpu MHz : 3300.000
cpu MHz : 3300.000
roger@acme:~> cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "cpu MHz"
cpu MHz : 800.000
cpu MHz : 3300.000
cpu MHz : 3300.000
cpu MHz : 800.000
cpu MHz : 3300.000
cpu MHz : 3300.000
roger@acme:~> cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "cpu MHz"
cpu MHz : 800.000
cpu MHz : 800.000
cpu MHz : 800.000
cpu MHz : 800.000
cpu MHz : 3300.000
cpu MHz : 3300.000
roger@acme:~> cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "cpu MHz"
cpu MHz : 800.000
cpu MHz : 2500.000
cpu MHz : 3300.000
cpu MHz : 800.000
cpu MHz : 3300.000
cpu MHz : 3300.000

The system is busy when this is run. So I cannot think there are
unused CPUs that are made to slow down because they have nothing to
do. Especially changing as often as they seem to be changing.

Is this expected behavior?

--
Roger Oberholtzer