Re: [opensuse] network manager only connects after 2nd or 3rd attempt
Op maandag 1 juni 2015 14:10:36 schreef John Andersen:
Couple of minor corrections:

1) yes you can use a mix of static and dynamic IPs, but you may occasionally
experience trouble after a static machine has been turned off for a long
period. The static IP may be leased by the dhcp server, and when you turn
the static machine back on there will be a collision, and the other machine
will be forced to obtain a new lease. This is seldom done cleanly.

Not when you use an address outside the range given to the DHCP server as I
mentioned in my message.

1a) Any properly functioning DHCP server (including in the cheapest of wifi
routers) will ping an ip before it tries to lease it. This is how it
detects and avoids usurped static ips. Obviously if the usurped static is
powered off or disconnected it will get no reply and it will lease the IP.

2) The very best way is to make a reservation in your DHCP server for the
mac address of the machines you want to always get the same IP (printers
etc are good candidates). That way EVERYTHING can use dhcp.

2a) Even the cheapest routers allow dhcp reservations these days, as does
any dhcp server running under opensuse. I always run this way - for many
years and have never encountered anything that did not work.

Further I've never encountered any device so primitive that it could not
handle dhcp and therefore required a static IP. Its always a choice,
reserved usually for those cases where there exists insufficient knowledge
of how to get a dhcp server working.

But in this case the DHCP server apparently does not work properly.

--
fr.gr.

member openSUSE
Freek de Kruijf