Re: [opensuse] Fibre speed [Was: raid use case]
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 17:50:36 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2015-06-01 16:06, James Knott wrote:

I recently bought a UPS and placed it near my TV, to keep my PVR
alive during brief power hits. Without it, the PVR will reboot
and lose a few minutes of whatever it was recording.

Precisely. Same as I have - but my PVR is upstairs. The UPS
protected the router, the PVR, and the wireless phone.

Forgot to mention.

One of the features of the new fiber tv I got, is that I can record
almost everything, as many simultaneous programs as I want - but it is
not done locally, but at the ISP, and stored for six months. I can
power off all the equipment, the recording is not affected at all -
obviously.

Yes, Swisscom has begun offering this service too recently. Of course,
some of us have been recording TV on harddisk since 2001. The first
one was a mere 18Gb, which didn't take long to fill, but it was fairly
easily upgraded to 120Gb (I think it was).

In fact, what I think they do, is record everything on all channels,
continuously. When a client clicks "record", what it does is simply
save a pointer or index to it.

Yes, most likely.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (20.6°C)