Re: [opensuse] Fibre speed [Was: raid use case]
On 2015-06-01 14:11, James Knott wrote:
On 06/01/2015 08:06 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Copper pair has some advantages: cabling in the house is simpler, for
starters. Traditional phone is powered by the copper wires, whereas my
phone now is on fiber and absolutely requires AC power (no battery
backup, either).

My phone is VoIP over the cable TV network. The terminal has a built in
battery for when power fails.

Not here.

However, there's nothing stopping you
from buying a UPS.

On my expense. They are big, heavy things, and I need to place one
behind the TV, which is already a mare nest of cables. A battery in the
"ONT" (I don't know the English name) by the manufacturer
(Lucent-Alcatel, IIRC) would be trivial to do.

I do have an UPS upstairs that I will migrate downstairs, no
(unsolvable) problem there. The computer has a newer, bigger, one.

I assume your carrier has provided power backup for
their equipment.

Most certainly not.

This link is in Spanish:

<http://fibraoptica.blog.tartanga.net/2014/07/04/analisis-de-los-equipos-utilizados-en-una-instalacion-ftth-de-movistar/>

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)