Re: [opensuse] Fibre speed [Was: raid use case]
On 2015-06-01 13:42, James Knott wrote:
On 05/31/2015 09:55 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Then they install our computers with wifi, that doesn't do more than 50.

Isn't there an Ethernet connection available? Can't you use your own
WiFi? My cable modem came with a built in router & WiFi. But I put it
in bridge mode and use a Linux box as my router/firewall. I have a
separate WiFi access point that runs 802.11n.

Yes, it comes with 4 "holes", one used by the TV. The issue is that the
three new little boxes and cables are (mandatorily?) placed as close to
the TV in the sitting room as possible.

My computer room is on another room, far away, upstairs. With ADSL, as I
had ages ago cabled the house to have phone on several rooms (before
wireless home phones were popular), the ADSL router and AP were placed
in the "computer room". Everything neat and working.

The ISP technicians did not place a cable from tv to computer on the
other room. The solution they offer is you buy a wifi card for the
desktop machine. I told the ISP that was impossible, as some of my
devices are not computers at all, they do not accept cards. The talk
person was baffled, I don't remember if she suggested a wifi to wifi to
ethernet setup (which is slow) or I did.

However, a friend told me that the technicians have an obligation to
install the cable where the clients need it, but to me they denied the
possibility.

I'm on my own for that.

I have just set, temporarily (ie, for years) a cable hanging from the
ceiling going upstairs. Eventually, I'll drill a hole in the concrete
floor and pass the cable... you know, houses here are made from
concrete, no wood. Drilling that hole is no trivial matter. Plus that
ceiling is 3 meters up, and I'm scared of heights ;-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >