Re: [opensuse] Fibre speed [Was: raid use case]
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 13:58:02 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2015-06-01 09:43, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Yes, I know that with copper pair there are technical limitations to
the upload speed. Both with high speed modems (V90) and with ADSL.
But fiber, which is what I have since very recently, doesn't have
any technical limitation. The limitation is arbitrary, or
commercial.

Commercial / for marketing reasons. I think the asymmetric
connections on fibre are offered because consumers who move from xDSL
will feel more comfortable with an asymmetric spec. Silly, I know.

Yes, silly. :-)
But true.

They assume that if I want symmetrical speed is because I want to
serve things.

Not an unreasonable assumption. Is there any other reason?

The cloud. Using online services like google docs. Working online in
general. Working at home and sending large files to the office.

Ah yes, I forgot about that.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (23.1°C)