Re: [opensuse] Fibre speed [Was: raid use case]
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 09:48:47 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2015-05-31 23:51, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Sun, 2015-05-31 at 19:05 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

I have not ever seen fibre on computers, though.

It is very common on corporate servers.

I guessed so :-)

And anyway, my 100 mbps connection today only makes 70. And what
I found is that many sites are slow! They don't feed me as many
bytes as I can take. Even some updates in YaST go slow (typically
packman).

Rate limiting is normal, any/all major sites and services are
going to rate-limit you. You buy more bandwidth for more aggregate
throughput of concurrent transactions, you do not buy more
bandwidth for 'faster downloads' - that won't work.

That's not what they talk about on their commercials, on the contrary,
that you'll get more speed, that web browsing will fly.

Right, that's how you sell it to Joe Bloggs. Nothing much wrong with
that.

Normally yast downloads updates quite fast; it is packman which goes
slower, at least some times. The difference is the absence of
mirrorbrain, I suppose.

mirrorbrain doesn't add much without a widespread set of mirrors. I
don't know pacmans mirroring setup.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.5°C)