Re: [opensuse] PDFs printing 2" offset in landscape mode with Adobe
On 2014-11-29 07:00, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 11/28/2014 11:38 PM, John Andersen wrote:
Again, Carlos, you are fixating on the fact that the package aren't
under maintenance rather than solving the problem. The package
doesn't instantly bit rot like yesterdays fish just because it is not
under maintenance.

Indeed.
And I'd point out that "it didn't used to do this" but along the way
other things have been updated as well. Notably CUPS.

No, I'm not "fixating". I'm pointing out that you must not even try to
open pdfs from firefox using the adobe plugin. That must go out by the
window immediately. Not because it works or not, but because it is
dangerous. As a plugin you must use something that is safe, that is
fully maintained.

(the danger is that the adobe plugin runs scripts carried inside the
PDFs that you open from sites)

Use standalone acrobat instead, no firefox plugin. If possible, block
its internet access (I half-failed at this)

I mentioned that Foxit prints properly
Well Foxit hasn't been updated for Linux in a long, long while.
Its as if they don't care ...

You are using the linux version of foxit? Wow. Old and insecure, too.
You could consider running instead the windows version under wine, which
at least, is modern and maintained, although not ideal.

But Foxit doesn't handle forms properly ...
We've had this discussion in the last year ....

Nothing does.

Anton can define a raw printer in cups and pass the PDF straight
through.

That might be useful in other ways as the printer can handle raw
postscript and raw PCL :-) In fact it can probably work better 'raw'.

If your printer handles ps and pcl, just tell cups about it. I have
three "printers" defined for my HP printer. One eats postscript, another
pcls, another hpijs. Mine doesn't print pdfs directly, and I would not
trust it if it did.

I just printed your file from standalone acrobat (9.5.5), using "rotate
and center", and the postscript driver. Worked just fine. But I'm using
13.1, so I can't exactly duplicate your setup...

AH!
Are you suggesting I should try rolling back to an earlier version of
CUPS and locking that in place?

Forget that.

We have frozen cups since years, we are not getting the upstream changes
because it is impossible.

Can you just try with the stand alone acroreader? If it prints
incorrectly, print to postscript file, then view that file with "gv".
Mind, acroread often produces broken postscript and in that case the
only workaround is to "repair" it. No updates.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)