Re: [opensuse] Software installer fails to install rpm package
  • From: Marco Calistri <marco.calistri@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 13:46:20 -0200
On 2014-11-28 15:34, Marco Calistri wrote:

I'm here because I want, I am here because I'm an openSUSE user
but not for this reason I avoid to express *personal* criticism
if I find some glitches in comparison to other distros.

But it took you a month to tell us that you were clicking on
Nautilus!

If you had posted your question like:

"double clicking on an rpm in nautilus fails to install it (using
version XX.Y)"

... Of OpenSuse ... Of nautilus ... Of RPM

and since, by using ldd, you can find the libraries that the normal
tools to install RPMs make use of, that is 'zypper' and 'rpm', you
might note that bot make use of the 'librpm' and 'librpmio'
libraries.

you might also have noticed that 'rpm' is the package management
standard. The use of 'apropos' would have told you of the manual
page for RPM and that it is clearly labelled as the package manager.

You might also tell us what external programs nautilus is configured
to use when clicking on a RPM file, that is what MIME-type settings
you have (either specific to nautilus or globally) and investigated
for yourself, possibly by RTFM, what that program does and what
output it produces with the parameters nautilus would give it.

It may even be that the way you have nautilus configured with suse
is different from the way you have it configured with your 'other'
distribution

I'll note that checking those libraries and checking my MIME
settings tool less time that it took to type up this email response.
So I'm in full agreement with Carlos!

then you would have attracted the right people with appropriate
knowledge and answers. You did not!

+1

Details up front please

"Context is Everything"

All right...

But if I have to investigate to solve my problems alone then what a
mailing-list like this serves for?

Are you never thought that novice users could be subscribed too and
would be interested to read a different answer than just "RTFM" ?

I have to admit, I'm just a pretty lazy user, I can't define myself a
'novice' than may be I deserve your and Carlos commentary :-(

The final of the story will be I will attempt to discover the issue on
my own as usually do in the last years...

Regards,

--
Marco Calistri