Re: [opensuse] UPS : replacing battery with 12 volt Jelly Car Battery
On 2014-11-25 20:22, Anton Aylward wrote:
The question was "why 19VDC?"
That meant
why, since the electronics run on 5VDC or less
and _maybe_ the disk motor needs 12VDC
and _maybe_ the DVD burner needs 12VDC
is the thing being supplied with 7VDC over its obvious need?

My guess is that it was (years ago) needed to power the display
fluorescent backlight. When running on battery, a step-up converter
switched on. This is no longer the case, they use LEDs, so we have
/tradition/. In industry, tradition means not having to redesign proven
practices.

Just a guess. :-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)