Re: [opensuse] UPS : replacing battery with 12 volt Jelly Car Battery
On 11/25/2014 02:18 PM, Lew Wolfgang wrote:

Right. But I don't think the laptop relies on the wall-wart for
regulation.

That opens up a lot of questions.

Not least of all that tablet (and my phone), which obviously has a
internal SSD or flash storage of some sort, can run from the 5V 1A
wallwart.

You might not
recognize a small switcher if its components were just connected
directly to the motherboard. The transformers can be tiny because
of the relatively high (20-KHz?) frequencies.

I recall from designing switchers from avionics that with certain
constraints imposed by OTS components there is an optimization point for
5V-when-rectified output of about 20kHz. I managed to get a switcher
that fitted in one of the small matchboxes that took input from the
aircraft 400V line to power the electronics.

OTC has moved forwards; I'll have to see what the parts I can identify
are for.

However this all gets back to WEIGHT.

Why should any of this 'conversion' be inside the laptop (or the phone
or tablet) since, when running the DC from the battery is stable?
(or at least just dropping rather than doing +/- AC).

I remember some
high-end desktop motherboards where you could select CPU voltages in
the Rom BIOS. This would be for gaming over-clocking.

OK.

So we don't get confused, its best to make it clear when talking about
laptops and when talking about desktops/towers.

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign