Re: [opensuse] UPS : replacing battery with 12 volt Jelly Car Battery
On 11/25/2014 11:22 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
The question was "why 19VDC?"
That meant
why, since the electronics run on 5VDC or less
and _maybe_ the disk motor needs 12VDC
and _maybe_ the DVD burner needs 12VDC
is the thing being supplied with 7VDC over its obvious need?

One explanation was battery charging.

Take the battery out and what need is there for more than 12VDC?

Take the DVD burner out and run on a 5VDC SSD and what need is there for
the 12VDC?

Just for you Anton, I flipped over my 19v laptop (dell 9400) yanked the
battery out, in preparation to measure it, but found it impossible to get
probes into the slots where the contacts are.

But on the battery it said 11.1Vdc output.

This is the second battery I've had for this laptop, and different
models were available from Dell, which had different voltages, one was
13, as I recall.

I suspect the charging voltage on this 11.1v is somewhere around 14v.

So I'm guessing that they need 19 for charging and powering at the
same time.

When running on battery they may need step-down dc-to-dc regulators inside for
all the peripherals, and god only knows what for the screen.