Re: [opensuse] UPS : replacing battery with 12 volt Jelly Car Battery
On November 25, 2014 7:08:54 AM PST, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/25/2014 09:13 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
No, I mean technically. Where to find the convertors and the rest of
the
hardware, how to design it... and of course, calculate costs and
savings.

A lot of telecom and industrial network equipment runs on -48V DC,
provided by batteries. Also, many server sites run the computers on
high voltage DC, to eliminate the AC-DC and DC-AC conversions. You
could probably modify a typical computer power supply for that, but
you'd need a string of about a dozen 12V batteries to run it. Computer
switching power supplies rectify the incoming AC and use the DC to run
power oscillator at a high frequency that's then passed through a
transformer to be rectified and regulated at the desired voltage. In
North America, that DC would be in the vicinity of 150V.

That's the most tortured description of a power supply I've ever heard.

Transformers do not rectify nor are they used with DC.