Re: [opensuse] Re: boot with root as subvolume
On 11/23/2014 11:46 AM, Gour wrote:
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 11:29:02 -0500
Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You do not have a separate /boot listed there.

Correct.

I'd be interested in learning why you chose not to have a
separate /boot partition.

Because the Linux OS has advanced and there is no longer required to
keep separate /boot.

Moreover, I use Debian with such setup for more than one year without
any problem:

UUID=xyz / btrfs defaults,noatime,compress=lzo,autodefrag,subvol=@ 0
0
UUID=xyz /home btrfs defaults,noatime,compress=lzo,autodefrag,subvol=@home
0 0

As you can see, there are not so many subvolumes as created by default by
Yast, but it works.

For various values of 'works.

My background comes from civil and aviation engineering where the
premise is that the environment, the use is not benign, that you assume
things that can go wrong will go wrong and things that can't go wrong
will also go wrong.

Some people call this 'belt and braces' engineering :-0

I don't know where you get the idea that a separate /boot is not
*required* any longer. It may not be mandatory in many use-cases but it
makes life a lot simpler in a lot more.

There's a similar argument bout having a separate /tmp or even a /tmp on
a separate spindle. The latter is about performance, the former is
about security. The bug that the having /tmp on a different FS from the
rootFS was fixed, but that's not to say some errant programmer won't
recreate it. Even so, it doesn't take an errant programmer to come up
with a runaway process that can consume all the scape on /tmp.
And if /tmp is NOT on its own FS that means its going to eat all your
main FS and that will soon result in a frozen system and for some an
unbootable system.

While I like the optimizations that a BtrFs-as-the-whole-FS-tree offers
in terms of a the optimizations and packing it can achieve, I want a
robust, that is robust in the face of perversity and my own stupidity
and carelessness, system.

Those are among the reasons I think that a separate /boot and separate
/tmp make sense.

Like Lynn and John I'm not a saint. I'm not on the road for
beatification and I make typing mistakes, even when editing config
files! Keeping with the mainstream so that the advice the other 'core
experts' here give me can be applied makes life easier.
That Debian or Redhat have their own way of doing things, have made
different decisions in many ways, is their concern. As people have
commented, there are things that are not in BtrFs, not in systemd for
the openSuse version so as to ensure better stability and reliability.
OpenSuse is not as 'bleeding edge'. I like that.

I asked why you chose not to have a separate /boot and the answer seems
to be "'Cos Debian didn't do it that way".

It makes me wonder why you have chosen to move from Debian to openSuse
as you seem intent on rebuilding your openSuse system so that it looks
like a Debian system.

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign