Re: [opensuse] Use crontabs (was Re: openSUSE-13.1: at 17:00 system begins thrashing: What is cause?)
On 11/22/2014 10:25 AM, Linda Walsh wrote:
If you use 'crontabs', they run like the old cron. Only things
put in /etc/cron.{timeperiod}, get run under the new method.

Yes, that's the point I and others are trying to make.

It's all those "only" things that are so involved with system
administration & maintenance that are there 'out of the box'.

Of course us 'experts' like thee, John, Carlos ... Others ... And myself
... Can hack the system about any which way we want and make it sit up
and reg and roll over and invite us to rub it tummy, good dog, good dog,
but the OP was the guy that got hit THUD! by these "only" things
rendering his system unusable and asking us for help.

You and I can set up cron job or systemd.timer jobs to our hearts
content. You and I can pull scripts away from the cron.daily directory
and put them elsewhere and run them under our own cron scheduling.
Yes, that's the point: **WE** can. We have the know how.

Do not assume that everyone else has our knowledge and experience; do
not assume everyone has had the time to dig into how the system works.

There are may people here who don't have our knowledge and experience
and that's why they ask here for our help and guidance.

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign