Re: [opensuse] Re: btrfs (with subvolumes) & raid-1 setup
On 11/22/2014 08:15 AM, Gour wrote:
On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 09:02:47 -0500
Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

* the ROOT FS is implicit, not a subvolume
* I had subvolumes for /home, /usr, /var, /tmp and /.snapshots

Do you see any pro/cons in having ROOT FS as subvolume in regard to
ability to have snapshots? (My current system has root as subvolume.)

My opinion is this

If the ROOT FS is the root then there's no sense it it also being a
subvolume ... A subvolume of what?

I've installed BtrFs as the ROOT FS for opensuse a few times not in a
few variations including it being the only FS, the whole system with
lots of subvolumes. It never occurred to me to have it as its own
subvolume. And I've never had any problems with snapshots, for examples
with zypper.

The closest I've had to a "problem" with snapshots is when they were
being taken on an hourly basis and eating disk space! Turn that setting
OFF!

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign