Re: [opensuse] openSUSE-13.1: at 17:00 system begins thrashing: What is cause?
On 11/21/2014 11:29 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:

iFor 15 years cron has made an most excellent alarm clock, and controls
a decent number of x25 boxes in the hours, reminds me of appointments,
cleans my log files out and automates mirroring and rekicks a number of
remote servers.

The issue, the start of this thread, has nothing to do with systemd
being able to replicate exactly the way the present
cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly} works. The problem the OP had arose
from using the basic old fashioned cron.

The problem was that the thwe way this worked produced a BIG THUD at 5pm
every day that rendered his system unusable.

That's an emergent property of the way this facility was built on top of
the old fashioned cron. Systemd had nothing to do with it.

What John is complaining about, what I and others have commented on, is
the way that the new fangled script on top of cron works has removed
from our control the fine tuning of when key systems tasks are run.

When I and others comment that this is more like the world of the
Microsoft PC rather than the traditional *NIX world, I'm referring to
the *NIX world of machines being 'always on' (even if their display is
turned off, they are headless, whatever[1]) as opposed to the PC habit
of turning on and off for short periods. The idea of such habits and
practices common to the PC/Windows world being transferred and hence
accommodated in the Linux world is rather scary!

[1] I turn my display off at night and the things under my desk are
headless.
--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign