Re: [opensuse] Why those packages wish to be installed?
Hello

Dne Pá 21. listopadu 2014 07:39:46, Anton Aylward napsal(a):
On 11/21/2014 07:17 AM, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
Hello,
I today upgraded openSUSE 13.1 to 13.2. I wonder why zypper dup is willing
to install 77 new pacakges:

$ sudo LC_ALL=C LANG=C zypper dup
Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled
repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you
continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.

Well first of all why are you doing a "dup" rather than an "up"

I do it regularly like that to keep newest package regardless repository of
origin.

What do you get, by comparison, if you run with "up" rather than 'dup"

zypper up doesn't suggest those changes.

I've NEVER had the need to do a "dup" except when *preparing* for an
online upgrade from one level of the OS to the next, and you are not
making clear if that's what you are doing. I get the *impression* from
the repositories you list you are doing this AFTER the upgrade.

This is after the upgrade. Before it was ok. I rather use dup for normal
updates. Until now no problem with that custom.

Could you clarify that detail, please. Is this before or after the upgrade?
[...]
How can I find why
they are going to be installed? When I launch graphical YaST, it doesn't
require it to be installed. Any ideas?

Sadly graphical yast, while pretty and often useful in other ways, is
crippled when it comes to communicating dependencies for packages that
are not installed yet! This is pretty dumb as it need to know the
dependencies if its going to install them!

"Obviously" that long list of what was going to be installed is some
kind of dependency cascade, and it was determined _before_ the
installation was done, so this information is there.

The man page says quote clearly

Zypper uses a dependency solver to find out what packages
need to be installed to satisfy the user's request.

You might try "zypper list-updates"

The list is empty.

There is also this

--no-force-resolution
Do not force the solver to find a solution. Instead,
report dependency problem and prompt the user to resolve
it manually.

It will involve a lot of step-and-repeat but it will show up the dependency.

I don't know of a zypper option that display the dependency tree for
yet-to-be-installed packages.

$ LC_ALL=C sudo zypper info --requires bzr
Reading installed packages...

Information for package bzr:
----------------------------
Repository: Hlavní repozitář (OSS)
Name: bzr
Version: 2.6.0-2.1.7
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: openSUSE
Installed: No
Bazaar is a distributed version control system designed to be easy to
use and intuitive, able to adapt to many workflows, reliable, and
easily extendable.
Requires:
libc.so.6()(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.14)(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)(64bit)
libpthread.so.0()(64bit)
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
/usr/bin/python
libpython2.7.so.1.0()(64bit)
python-xml
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(PayloadIsLzma) <= 4.4.6-1
python(abi) == 2.7

As I understand it, „Requires“ are required by the package in question, but
the question is complementar - which existing package suggests or requires to
install this one.
I tries zypper se --suggests, but there is no installed package suggesting
those in question.
Weird think: when I install those packages and run rpmorpan, it suggests to
remove those newly installed...

On the whole, my advice is 'DO NOT USE "DUP"'

Seems like at least a workaround for now...
Thank You for advices,
Vojtěch

--
Vojtěch Zeisek