Re: [opensuse] Why those packages wish to be installed?
On 11/21/2014 07:17 AM, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
Hello,
I today upgraded openSUSE 13.1 to 13.2. I wonder why zypper dup is willing to
install 77 new pacakges:

$ sudo LC_ALL=C LANG=C zypper dup
Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled
repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you
continue.
See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.

Well first of all why are you doing a "dup" rather than an "up"

What do you get, by comparison, if you run with "up" rather than 'dup"

I've NEVER had the need to do a "dup" except when *preparing* for an
online upgrade from one level of the OS to the next, and you are not
making clear if that's what you are doing. I get the *impression* from
the repositories you list you are doing this AFTER the upgrade.

Could you clarify that detail, please. Is this before or after the upgrade?

[snip]

I don't want any of those packages to be installed. And I don't want the
patterns. I don't want GNOME. I don't want 32bit. Annoying.

Indeed! Very annoying. I don't blame you in the last for being annoyed
at this. I'm in agreement. I don't want gnome and after I paid good
money for this 64-bit machine I don't see why I should run it crippled
with 32-bit software either!

How can I find why
they are going to be installed? When I launch graphical YaST, it doesn't
require it to be installed. Any ideas?

Sadly graphical yast, while pretty and often useful in other ways, is
crippled when it comes to communicating dependencies for packages that
are not installed yet! This is pretty dumb as it need to know the
dependencies if its going to install them!

"Obviously" that long list of what was going to be installed is some
kind of dependency cascade, and it was determined _before_ the
installation was done, so this information is there.

The man page says quote clearly

Zypper uses a dependency solver to find out what packages
need to be installed to satisfy the user's request.

You might try "zypper list-updates"

There is also this

--no-force-resolution
Do not force the solver to find a solution. Instead,
report dependency problem and prompt the user to resolve
it manually.

It will involve a lot of step-and-repeat but it will show up the dependency.

I don't know of a zypper option that display the dependency tree for
yet-to-be-installed packages.

On the whole, my advice is 'DO NOT USE "DUP"'