Re: [opensuse] Task Management...(was Re: openSUSE-13.1: at 17:00 system begins thrashing: What is cause?)
On 2014-11-21 05:06, Anton Aylward wrote:

Yes, the potential is great, including forcing the
cron.{daily,weekly...} tasks to use only one core of a multicore machine
leaving the other cores available for normal use.

Interesting idea.

That's not to say limiting cpu, memory and io, over and above what can
be done with nice and ionice, isn't going to be useful.

Absolutely.

Another tool I use, rather than those, is "cpulimit". It forces the task
not to use more than a percent of the cpu, no matter how free the cpu is
or not. On a machine that is already running full time, it runs cooler.
Takes longer, so what? And if you need the cpu for other primary tasks,
you have it.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Resource_Management_Guide/ch01.html

I'll have to look at that link another day... humans have to sleep at
regulars hours, something I tend to forget. But my body doesn't.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)