Re: [opensuse] openSUSE-13.1: at 17:00 system begins thrashing: What is cause?
On 11/19/2014 09:32 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
It is a "must have", to accommodate us home users that do not run our
machines 24*7. The alternative was to use anacron instead of cron, and I
think some distros do it that way.

Carlos makes an important point, one that aaron should have made.
It used to be that *NIX machines were 'always on', but now we are
dealing with machines that are turned on and off just like the old PCs.
Where is aaron? I don't hear him complaining about how Linux is
becoming more like Microsoft Windows? In this he might be able to make
a case, although this has NOTHING to do with systemd -- which is
probably why he's absenting himself. Either that or Henne is doing an
excellent job!

So I wonder. Yes, if the model is a PC replacement desktop, I can see
the logic. I don't like it, but I can see it. I don't like it because
I'm one of those people who leaves his machine turned on all the time.
I realise that for many people, especially those using laptops, this
isn't practical.

But I also wonder is this is just for desktop systems? OK, but what
about openSuse in clearly server situations? SLED vs SLES?
Is anyone running SLES? Can they tell us how the cron is set up there?