Re: [opensuse] openSUSE-13.1: at 17:00 system begins thrashing: What is cause?
On 2014-11-20 05:16, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 11/19/2014 10:50 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
If you need that degree of customization, just take those jobs out,
probably by taking out the scripts from the daily folder, and create an
enties for them in /etc/cron.d/mycustom instead, line per line. Not in
/etc/crontab, because that has problems with updates.

Er ... NOT! Or "not-Quite"

You are correct that updates will 'restore' /etc/crontab[1]
but they will also restore the scripts you/I took out of the daily folder.

Of course it will.

The best I can think of is to replace those scripts you've taken out of
daily with ones of the same name that are empty files (or non
executable) and hope that the update produces .rpmnew ones that don't
actually over-write them.

Or mark noexec. This can be done in the local permission file, so it is
automatic. I don't remember if marking noexec works or not, though.

Or create a weekly job that undoes things :-)

I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable about how the system decides to
create a .rpmnew/.rpmold rather than simply replace a file.

Up to the people that create the new rpm, I think. The logic is not very
sane, often the non-replaced file has an empty diff.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >