Re: [opensuse] openSUSE-13.1: at 17:00 system begins thrashing: What is cause?
On 2014-11-19 16:20, Anton Aylward wrote:

Now we have then agglomerated into hourly, daily, and a master script
that is woken up every 15 minutes.

It is a "must have", to accommodate us home users that do not run our
machines 24*7. The alternative was to use anacron instead of cron, and I
think some distros do it that way.

And then there's /etc/sysconfig/cron ...

You can configure it so that it logs as each run-cron job is started, so
you know which one has problems, or not.

## Type: yesno
## Default: no
#
# generate syslog message for all scripts in
# cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly}
# even if they haven't returned an error? (yes/no)
#
SYSLOG_ON_NO_ERROR="yes"

IMO, the default should be "yes".

As far as I can see from the way /usr/lib/cron/run-crons
loops over /etc/cron.daily/* at whenever time "daily" is set to run, it
is by the shell sort order and it includes everything there.

Yes. But you can choose the time it normally runs.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)