Re: [opensuse] Re: btrfs (with subvolumes) & raid-1 setup

On November 19, 2014 4:55:29 PM EST, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/19/2014 1:52 PM, Darin wrote:

On November 19, 2014 3:52:17 PM EST, John Andersen
<jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/19/2014 12:33 PM, Gour wrote:
Otoh, I wonder, since it's official decision to use XFS to /home to
follow their hint and wait when /home with btrfs will become
official
practice, possibly with subvolumes.

That's what I did. I'm not sure why they did it this way, but they
have
spent more time thinking abut it than I did, so I went with it.

Also I wanted to encrypt home (and another project directory) and
Yast
didn't
offer encryption for Btrfs, even though the documentation said it
can
be done.

I've encrypted my home dir with ecryptfs over btrfs and have been
running that way for a very long time now. This isn't "available" or
"supported" by yast or whatever but is fully supported outside that by
the kernel, encryptfs-utils, pam-config, etc.

Does Btrfs see that as one big file or what?

No its layered above the file system so any and every file/Dir passes thru the
ecryptfs layer and gets encrypted. It's file system agnostic and since its
above the FS doesn't require anything special, unlike dmcrypt or the blob
encrypted home Dir which is SUSE's default, if you extend the disk or volume.

Does it affect snapshots in any way?

Not that I'm aware of.
--
Later,