Re: [opensuse] Read-only NTFS Disks?
On 11/19/2014 08:21 AM, jdd wrote:
well, new test.

took a 16Gb usb flash key.
copied there an ubuntu iso (ubuntu, because they isos are much simpler than
our). copied like a file, not as device (with dolphin)
plug it into my windows 8 machine
right clic on the iso file, "mount" and a new disk is created with the iso
content.

and it is read only.

not to say one can't remove the file itself... and the first mount is pretty
long.

no need of any extra software (and AFAIK it's also true for windows 7)

Ah, that's good news for Win-8.1, but I just tried it on Win-7 and it didn't
work. Windows recognizes the ISO format but only gives me the option
of burning it to an optical drive.

It seems that Microsoft recognized the need to mount an ISO and has
created the " Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel", which is apparently available
for all Windows versions back to XP. Alas, it's reported to not work,
especially
on 64-bit installs. Yet another reason to eschew Windows, as if we needed one!

Regards,
Lew