Re: [opensuse] openSUSE-13.1: at 17:00 system begins thrashing: What is cause?
On 11/18/2014 06:27 PM, Philip Amadeo Saeli wrote:

If anyone has any idea what may be running at that time, I'd like to
know. I know it is a long shot, but my system is currently unusable and
I have a 1-2 hr wait before it again becomes usable (based on my
experiences the past few days), so ....

A long long time ago[1] the way cron handled system tasks was more
visible. The crontab entry for root had multiple lines and each line
referred to one script that "did one thing, only one thing and did it
well". Those scripts are managed, but the fine tuning we had is lost.

Back then you could arrange that the system tasks ere staggared, ran
precisely when you wanted then, and could easuly see the 'when' by
looking at the crontab entry. You could arrange that tasks ran at 5,
10, 20, 25, 40, 50 minutes past the hour; that tasks ran on weekdays
only or weekends only or on the second Tuesday of the month only.

Now we have then agglomerated into hourly, daily, and a master script
that is woken up every 15 minutes.

And then there's /etc/sysconfig/cron ...

Its now much harder to see what gets run when.
If aaron wanted something to rant about for loss of visibility and
control then this is a better subject than systemd.

Supposing Philip has, somehow, configured things to start at 17:00,
then the way that script is written what's to stop all of the scripts in
/etc/cron.daily/ from being run?

As far as I can see from the way /usr/lib/cron/run-crons
loops over /etc/cron.daily/* at whenever time "daily" is set to run, it
is by the shell sort order and it includes everything there.

The granularity of control of "a long long time ago" is lost and there
is a great big THUD!

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsV5-Hv-7U